Gaining new clients is important, but keeping your existing clients is even more beneficial to your business. Memberships are the next evolution for salons and a must-have when it comes to client retention, revenue projection and predictability.
To manage the direct debit side of things, we have our Stripe connection. This means if you're already connected to Stripe for Online Bookings or POS, you can start selling memberships straight away!
We'll be covering the following in this article:
- How to connect to Stripe
- Set Membership Payment Gateway
- How to sell a Membership in POS using Stripe Direct Debit
- What does the client see when signing up to a Membership?
- How to view Membership details
- How to cancel a Membership with Stripe Direct Debit
Note: If you've already connected to Stripe for Online Bookings or POS, you can skip to the Set Membership Payment Gateway section.
1. In your Simple Salon account, go to the Account page (by clicking the blue circle icon on the top right corner).
2. Click the Actions menu.
3. Under Membership Add-ons, select Stripe.
4. Click Sign Up and you will be redirected to Stripe.
At this point you will be required to enter in your email address:
- If you already have a Stripe account, you will be asked to enter in your password and login.
- If you don't have a Stripe account you will create a password. You'll then enter in your business details as prompted by Stripe until you complete the signup process.
Click Connect to finalise the connection and you'll be redirected back to Simple Salon.
Once you're redirected back into Simple Salon, ensure Stripe Gateway is enabled and click Save.
1. Go to Settings (by clicking the blue circle icon on the top right corner)
2. Select the Membership tab
3. Click the Membership Payment Gateway dropdown menu and select Stripe.
4. Click Save once complete.
First things first you need to create your Memberships in Simple Salon by going to Admin then into the Memberships tab.
When you're ready to sell a Membership:
1. Go to POS and click Add Client to Sale.
2. Click the Add Items button, and select Membership.
3. Select the Operator who sold the Membership, and choose the Membership you'd like to sell from the Membership drop-down menu.
4. Enter in the Start Date for this membership.
5. Ensure Use Direct Debit is enabled, and click Save to add the membership to sale.
Now you'll simply finalise the sale as normal via the Receive Payment button.
Tip: If you haven't added any other items to POS, or you don't have a joining fee setup, the total at POS will be $0.
Once you have sold a Membership through POS that uses Direct Debit, you'll receive a pop-up that lets you know the client has been sent an email with details of the new membership, and a link to accept.
In the client's email, they will be prompted to enter in their payment details and confirm their new subscription:
Clients can choose to pay using their debit/credit card, or with Direct Debit details.
After they click Subscribe, they will be notified that the subscription is successful and their membership will be activated shortly.
The client will receive follow up emails from Stripe confirming when their first payment is due to come out. If they've chosen direct debit, they'll receive a further notification confirming their direct debit request. That's all there is to it!
View Membership in Simple Salon
In your Simple Salon account, you can view the details of a client's Membership by:
1. Search for the client in Client Search (or click their name on an appointment) and navigate to their client details page.
2. Click the Membership tab at the bottom of the page (near the Visits tab).
3. Click Edit next to any Membership to view Membership Details, such as their redeemable items for the current Inclusion period or Activities (e.g. seeing when a specific inclusion item was claimed).
View Membership in Stripe
Whenever you sell a Membership, it can also be viewed in your Stripe account.
If you go to the Payments section of your Stripe account (https://dashboard.stripe.com/payments), you'll be able to see any new Memberships as a Subscription creation. Click on the transaction to view further details.
You can also visit the Billing tab, and select Subscriptions (https://dashboard.stripe.com/subscriptions). This will give you a list of all subscriptions that have been processed through your account. Clicking on a subscription will show you further details, like when their next payment is due.
To cancel a direct debit Membership, you'll need to go to your Stripe account, and head to your Subscriptions page via Billing (https://dashboard.stripe.com/subscriptions).
Simply locate the relevant client from your subscriptions list, and click the three dots.
Select Cancel Subscription. You'll be given the option to either cancel the subscription immediately, at the end of their current pay period or on a custom date.
You will also have the ability to provide a refund if necessary.
Once you have finalised the cancellation within Stripe, this will immediately update the client's Membership details in your Simple Salon account - there's nothing further you'll need to do!