You can manage your business opening hours and staff hours using Simple Rostering, however if you'd like to go a step further, Advanced Rostering allows you to create different roster items each week. It allows you to create different Roster Types (such as Rostered On, Annual Leave, Sick Days etc), as well as add pay rates to track staff wages.
Step 1: Enable Advanced Rostering Settings
Go to Settings (by clicking the blue circle icon on the top right corner), and then into Roster Settings.
From here select Enable Advanced Rostering.
You can also enable:
- Automatically Roster Operators Off: When this is enabled, all operators are automatically "Rostered Off" (i.e. not working). You will then use "Rostered On" roster types on days that you are working to open up the Appointments page.
- Only Show Rostered On Operators: When this is enabled, only your rostered on operator's columns will be displayed on the Appointments page for each day. If you leave this unticked, this means that if an operator is rostered off, their column will be shown on the Appointments page (but it'll be shaded out since they're not working).
Click Save once complete.
Step 2: Create Roster Types
In order to roster operators on, you will use Roster Types. These are applied to your roster and show whether or not you are working and taking appointments.
By default, you'll have the following Roster Types: Rostered On (bookings allowed), Rostered Off (no bookings allowed), and Annual Leave (no bookings allowed).
You can create your own custom Roster Types by following the below steps:
1. Go to Admin
2. Select the Rostering tab
3. Click the New button in the Roster Types section:
- Under Roster Type Details, give your Roster Type a name, e.g. "Working", "Available", "Sick Day" etc.
- Set the Display Colour - This is the colour that the roster type will show up as in the Roster.
- No Bookings Allowed - Enabling this setting will stop bookings being made whenever this Roster Type is used. If you're creating a Roster Type where you do want bookings allowed, keep this option turned off.
- Do Not Overwrite - This means that this particular Roster Type will not be deleted/overwritten if you change an operators roster times and clear the roster into the future. The clear will remove all other roster items, but not any that have 'Do Not Overwrite' selected e.g. Annual Leave.
Remember to Save once complete!
Step 3: Set up Opening Hours
Before you set up your Operators working hours, you'll need to ensure your Opening Hours are setup.
1. Go to the Roster
2. Click the Opening Hours button.
3. Set your start and close times for each day of the week, tick the day(s) you're Closed and Save.
Tip: If your start and close times fluctuate each week, you can set them to the earliest and latest you think you'll be open. Then you'll use Roster Types to show when you're actually available for bookings each day (more on this in Step 4).
Step 4: Set up Operator Hours in the Roster
Go to Roster.
Click the green plus [+] button next to an operator. On the right side, you'll need to fill out the roster item details:
- Select a Roster Type from the drop-down menu. For example Rostered On if the operator is working and available.
- Select the start & finish Item Time. You need to ensure that the start & finish time is set within the opening hours for that day. For example, if Monday's opening hours are set to 9:00am-5:00pm, the start & finish time for roster items on a Monday must be within 9:00am-5:00pm.
- Tick the days of the week you're rostering them on for.
- (Optional) By default Service Available will be set to All. You can instead choose specific services operators can perform during each shift by deselecting All and choosing the relevant services.
- (Optional) Choose the hourly rate the operator is earning during this shift from the Roster Rate Type drop down menu. Click here if you'd like to learn how to set up Roster Rate Types.
Click Save and the roster items will be created:
Your Appointments page will update immediately according to these roster items!
You can follow these same steps to roster your staff for all the days and times they are working.
- The Repeat Selected option will repeat the whole week that you're currently on — not individual days i.e. it's not possible to click on one time slot and repeat just one day. The function works by repeating the whole week for the operators that are selected.
If you've tried to delete this weeks items/future items and noticed that the items weren't deleted—it's likely that these roster items were set 'Do Not Overwrite' in Admin > Rostering. If that's the case, make sure you're selecting the option that includes 'Do Not Overwrite' items (or you can edit the Roster Type to remove the 'Do Not Overwrite' setting).